Sunday, September 28, 2008

Two low blows, below the belt in Ohio Pres. campaign






Wanted: A Congressional resolution condemning the distribution of hate DVD's

A natural and expected progression.
Ohio is a "swing" state (polls show that it can go for Obama or McCain in
November).

In this state hundreds of thousands of the anti-Muslim/Arab DVD
"Obsession" were distributed in newspapers by a shady "non-profit"
"Clarion"(with the obvious purpose of swaying the election, in direct
violation of non-profit laws.)

[we will try to give the URL for learning more about the DVD. ]

Now we have this story of an attack on Muslim families in Dayton. This is
the news account in the Dayton Daily News (a paper that included the DVD a
few weeks ago)
Baboucarr Njie was preparing for his prayer session Friday night, Sept. 26,
when he heard children in the Islamic Society of Greater Dayton coughing.
Soon, Njie himself was overcome with fits of coughing and, like the rest of
those in the building, headed for the doors.

"I would stay outside for a minute, then go back in, there were a lot of
kids," Njie said. "My throat is still itchy, I need to get some milk."

Njie was one of several affected when a suspected chemical irritant was
sprayed into the mosque at 26 Josie St., bringing Dayton police, fire and
hazardous material personnel to the building at 9:48 p.m.

Someone "sprayed an irritant into the mosque," Dayton fire District Chief
Vince Wiley said, noting that fire investigators believe it was a hand-held
spray can. More at http://tinyurl.com/3gag6m

Here is a first hand description not in the news. It was posted at "Daily
Kos", a progressive forum that is mostly follows the Democratic Party line.
But they really came out against this bigotry in a strong way, so props for
that. Anyway, here is the description as related by the post, that was
related by an email to the poster:

"She told me that the gas was sprayed into the room where the babies and
children were being kept while their mothers prayed together their Ramadan
prayers. Panicked mothers ran for their babies, crying for their children so
they could flee from the gas that was burning their eyes and throats and
lungs. She grabbed her youngest in her arms and grabbed the hand of her
other daughter, moving with the others to exit the building and the
irritating substance there.

"The paramedic said the young one was in shock, and gave her oxygen to
help her breathe. The child couldn't stop sobbing.

"This didn't happen in some far away place -- but right here in Dayton,
and to my friends. Many of the Iraqi refugees were praying together at the
Mosque Friday evening. People that I know and love.

"I am hurt and angry. I tell her this is NOT America. She tells me this
is not Heaven or Hell -- there are good and bad people everywhere.

"She tells me that her daughters slept with her last night, the little
one in her arms and sobbing throughout the night. She tells me she is
afraid, and will never return to the mosque, and I wonder what kind of
country is this where people have to fear attending their place of worship?

"The children come into the room, and tell me they want to leave America
and return to Syria, where they had fled to from Iraq. They say they like
me, ... , and other American friends -- but they are too afraid and want to
leave. Should a 6 and 7 year old even have to contemplate the safety of
their living situation?

"Did the anti-Muslim video circulating in the area have something to do
with this incident, or is that just a bizarre coincidence? Who attacks women
and children?

"What am I supposed to say to them? My words can't keep them safe from
what is nothing less than terrorism, American style. Isn't losing loved
ones, their homes, jobs, possessions and homeland enough? Is there no place
where they can be safe?

"She didn't want me to leave her tonight, but it was after midnight, and
I needed to get home and write this to my friends. Tell me -- tell me --
what am I supposed to say to them?"

No comments: